Author Topic: Kahles question for Rick S.  (Read 102 times)

rardoin

Kahles question for Rick S.
« on: September 17, 2016, 11:37:20 AM »
I though I may have read a thread where you mentioned having used a Kahles 1050.  If this is true, what is your impression, compared to other options, on using this scope for an F-open build?  Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Robin

mickey

• Administrator
  • SSST
Re: Kahles question for Rick S.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 07:41:07 PM »
I have heard great things about Kahles scopes from people that would know good glass.

The new nightforce competition scopes are a great optic too. Craig and I put or rifles on the line after a match and bounced back and forth between the 2 guns comparing his new model nightforce competition against my Schmidt Bender PMII 12-50x56 FFP. The only thing I noticed was the field of view was slightly larger on the Schmidt at the same power and Schmidt was a bit brighter. Nightforce glass has come a long way since the glass on the NXS scopes.

RStewart

• Administrator
  • SSST
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 07:44:53 PM »
Robin,
As you know, like politics, everyone has their opinion. I'll give you my thoughts on the Kahles. But I always encourage folks to do their own hands on research.
I have used the NF 12-42 Benchrest scope and it served me well. About 3 years ago I switched to Schmidt Bender and love them.
I built a 6 Dasher and was thinking about what to put on it. I went to SportOptics (now Interstate Guns) in Hammond and looked at the Kahles and NF Competition side by side. To me, the Kahles seemed a bit brighter and crisper than the NF. I put the Kahles on the Dasher, thinking if I started shooting it often, I would switch it with one of my SB's.
After my first trip to the range, I liked the Kahles to the point I didn't think anymore about switching it out.
I would recommend a trip to Interstate Guns and look through several different scopes. I am partial to my Kahles and SB's. You may find you like something else that you think will be right for you. It's all about what you want to use. We can only give opinions.
I hope that helps.
Rick
"Everything we learned about combat we learned from keyboard commandos and YouTube videos"- Gen. George S. Patton

rardoin

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 09:21:01 PM »
That does help.  Thank you Rick and Mickey.  I did not realize SportOptics (I Guns) had a storefront; I thought they were just an internet business.  I really like S&B scopes I have hunted with but I did not think they had a SFP/MOA turret scope.  I will try to get out there and look.  I am in no hurry as Shawn will not get my components for another week or so then I presume I'll have 3+ months before I need optics.

Snuggie

• FTR/ F-OPEN
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 09:28:36 PM »
Robin, as Rick suggested, go to Interstate Guns in Hammond.  You can compare all of them side by side.  Everyone's eyes are different so some might  see things that others may not.  The folks at IG are great to deal with. You can also go to each manufacturers web site and read up on them.  Myself, I just put the new NF Comp ( FCR RETICLE ) on my new Open rifle.  I also have one on my .308. No issues at all. Good luck, Dwight.