Author Topic: Prospective club member, questions about application  (Read 133 times)

NavyVet

Prospective club member, questions about application
« on: December 30, 2017, 09:22:31 PM »
Hi Everyone,
My name is Ethan, and I am a graduating senior at LSU, in Petroleum Engineering.
I spent 7 years in the world's finest Navy, as an Electronics Technician with my last duty location being Bahrain.

Since I can remember, I have always had an itch to try my hand at long range competition target shooting.
Well, I very recently received a nice .308 Rem. 700, and thought a range like at Palo Alto, would be perfect for this.

Then, I looked at the application form.  It requests references...  I don't know anyone who is a member of the range to put on the references section.
What should I do about that?  What kind of person should I put down for Character Reference, barring a member of the club being available for reference?

How selective is the membership process?

Also, because my future employment may take me out of state in May or June 2018, would it be a mistake to sign up for a 1 year membership?  Is something less... obligational/expensive available for a broke college student?
I just want to shoot... at stuff really far away.  :)

mickey

• Administrator
  • SSST
Re: Prospective club member, questions about application
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 10:21:22 PM »
Not having club member references is not a deal breaker.
Submit your application. You will be invited to a meet and greet with the board members when membership opens up in April 2018.

If you are moving away in June, I personally would not want to pay full dues plus a initiation fee for 3 months of range use.

Snuggie

• FTR/ F-OPEN
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 11:54:18 PM »
Ethan, you do not have to be a member of P\A to shoot in our matches. It will cost you $20.00 to shoot as with all of us, member or not.  You do have to be an NRA member if you want your scores to go in for a classification.  Come on out, you’re most welcome!

RStewart

• Administrator
  • SSST
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 02:08:06 AM »
Ethan, you do not have to be a member of P\A to shoot in our matches. It will cost you $20.00 to shoot as with all of us, member or not.  You do have to be an NRA member if you want your scores to go in for a classification.  Come on out, you’re most welcome!

Actually, you only need a NRA membership if you shoot a National record in a registered match and want it to count, otherwise, it's not needed.
"Everything we learned about combat we learned from keyboard commandos and YouTube videos"- Gen. George S. Patton