Author Topic: Robin Ardoin at the Berger Southwest Nationals  (Read 139 times)

vmcdonald

• Global Moderator
Robin Ardoin at the Berger Southwest Nationals
« on: February 08, 2018, 01:24:56 AM »
Mid range is complete. Robin Ardoin shot 584-24. I heard the winds were 20-25 early dropping to a mild 15-20 but the gusts were anywhere from 30-40. Good shooting Robin. There were only 6 shooters in Open that shot in the 590's so the conditions must have been brutal.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Snuggie

• FTR/ F-OPEN
Re: Robin Ardoin at the Berger Southwest Nationals
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 04:22:55 AM »
Hold the line Robin!! We’re with you!

rardoin

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 03:25:33 PM »
Yea...that first relay was the worst wind I have ever shot in.  It was very gusty and I could not find a condition that stayed stablr for more than a shot or two.  I had to approach each shot like a 'first shot' and calculate the value and hold.  I had to dial in and out windage as I would have been holding off the frame many times :o.  I did learn a lot.  I was not too pleased with the next two relays as I should have cleaned relay 2 and 3 as the winds were light but twitchy...just like most summer days at PA.  I did get very lucky with an inadvertant fire...I accidentally touched the trigger while getting set for a shot.  Fortunately the gun was tracking extremely well and I got a VERY outer 9.  I was really nervous waiting for that shot score as I was expecting an 8 or even worse when the target came back up....whew.  I accomplished my goal of getting into the top 25%....right on the cutoff ;).  I sure had a blast.  I can't wait for the NRA Nats at Raton this fall.  My dad will be coming to that one.

I guess Tom and Ben Neely are only shooting LR as I did not see them out there.  Fingers crossed for a good PA showing.

GB300wm

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 08:35:03 PM »
Way to go Robin. Those winds of the west are quite different than ours for sure. Well done bud. Something to be very proud of.  :)

Bob L.

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 11:35:37 PM »
Good job, Robin. Those wind conditions make me queasy just reading about them.

Snuggie

• FTR/ F-OPEN
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 11:58:24 PM »
Great job Robin under very adverse conditions!!  Glad that you accomplished your goal!  Man, being able to have your dad with you at Raton is awesome bro!!  You’re a very fortunate Coonass !  8)

3Groove

• Global Moderator
  • Glen Padgett
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 12:44:29 AM »
That away to go Robin!!  See people!  Dentists are good for more than one thing!!!

All kidding aside that's awesome Robin.  I can't even imagine what those conditions would be like. 
"Each of us, a cell of awareness.
Imperfect and incomplete.
Genetic Blends with uncertain ends.
On a fortune hunt that's far to fleet."

Neil Peart(Rush)  "Freewill"

rardoin

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 03:48:08 AM »
Actually it was less stressful than the last two calmer relays in that my expectations were VERY low ;D.  I was using the technique Mid Tompkins and Emil Praslick taught me in the LR clinic the day before and it helped tremendoously.  I even beat out Dan Bramley, a US F-open team member who also taught a class....which tickled me a bit ;).  Bob, I think you and Jerry would have done better than I as I have seen both of you handle some pretty tricky winds a couple of matches back while I got may arse handed to me :-[.

Snuggie

• FTR/ F-OPEN
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 03:57:55 AM »
What tickled me is that Robin beat out Mista Bowling! :o

rardoin

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2018, 12:18:32 AM »
Shooting a 6mm in those winds was a tall order as .284's were having a rough go at it.  Glad I had at least a 142 6.5 at a decent clip.